In 1943 a few scouts pitched their tents above the farm in Adscombe. Their leader John Inchley was so impressed by the delightful, grassy combe set within an impressive forest that he persuaded Scripture Union, with which he was associated, to take up a lease on the field and to establish a standing camp for young people. Great Wood Camp was thus put on the map in 1946. Many of these photographs were taken between 1946 and 1948.
In succeeding years, Great Wood has gradually developed and become more sophisticated. The original ex-army huts have been replaced by purpose built log cabins and water (once carried by the bucketful from the stream) is now largely supplied from the mains.