The management of Great Wood Camp endeavour, wherever possible, to behave in an environmentally responsible way.
- hot water in the Mess Hut is supplied by an efficient electric air-source heat pump;
- solar panels on the Mess Hut roof provide zero-carbon power to the Hut;
- site users are encouraged to recycle as much as they can by a colour coded bin system;
- the site runs a bio-digester so that harsh chemicals cannot be used in the water system;
- waste water is returned to the environment by a purely natural oxygenation process;
- the swimming pool uses fewer chemicals than typical pools, and heat is taken from the air using a highly efficient electric heat exchanger to warm the water;
- all the new cabins have been fitted with electricity usage meters which highlight to residents how much energy is being wasted when lights are left on